jueves, 15 de enero de 2015

Latinos and the Affordable Care Act

Dept. of Health & Human Services

Latinos and the Affordable Care Act

Posted January 15, 2015
By: Elizabeth Perez, Public Health Advisor, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Communications
Latino Week of Action
I used to take everyday mobility for granted until I injured my left knee while playing sports in college. I needed surgery in order to return to my normal activity level. Thankfully, I had health insurance, which helped cover the cost of pre-operation doctor appointments, as well as my surgery costs. Nine months after my surgery, I was told that, even though I went through all the proper channels, my health insurance had rescinded my coverage. In essence, the health insurance company took back the payment they had made to the surgeon and the hospital; leaving me stuck with a bill that I couldn’t pay.
Up until a few years ago, health insurance companies were able to arbitrarily cancel or rescind coverage. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, new consumer protections are now in place to safeguard individuals from experiencing frivolous and unexpectedcancellations. There are millions of Americans who don’t have coverage, and they are often our relatives and neighbors; our primostías, and tíos.
One of the best ways to have good health is to ensure you and your familia have access to health insurance so that you can regularly see a healthcare provider. The week of January 12this Latino Week of Action for the Health Insurance Marketplace. During this week, we are asking individuals across the nation to have a conversation with their primos, tías, and tíos about their health, and to make sure that their familia is enrolled in health coverage by the February 15th deadline.
Read More: Latinos and the Affordable Care Act
Share on Facebook

No hay comentarios: