martes, 8 de diciembre de 2015

Carl’s #GetCovered Story: No Longer Gambling with His Life

Dept. of Health & Human Services
By: Carl Anderson, Houston, Texas
I’m 25 years old and work for a human resources contractor in the oil and gas industry. It’s a good job, but it doesn’t come with health insurance benefits.
That really stressed me out. You see, I’m HIV+ and my 30-day supply of pills cost $1,500. I couldn’t afford that so I started rationing my pills. I didn’t know how I was going to get more.
I was gambling with my life. My medication has to be taken daily on a regular basis for it to be effective.
Fortunately, I met a person with Legacy Community Health Services in Houston, who understood my problem and connected me with someone who could help me sign up for health coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace.  My premium is $262 a month after tax credits. Under my plan, my $1,500 supply of pills now costs only $350, but in a stroke of good fortune, I don’t have to pay anything for the pills for the next year because of a special coupon I received.Having access to affordable, quality health insurance is important to all Americans, especially LGBT Americans, who are disproportionately likely to be uninsured, live in poverty, and face substantial barriers to quality health care.
READ MORE: Carl’s #GetCovered Story: No Longer Gambling with His Life
Share on Facebook

No hay comentarios: