viernes, 15 de enero de 2016

Manuel’s #GetCovered Story: Staying Healthy for his Son

Dept. of Health & Human Services
January 14, 2016
By: Manuel Jones, Charlotte, North Carolina
I’m a self-employed truck driver and single dad, trying to do my best in raising my 14-year-old son. I often leave on a job before sunrise so I can be home by the time my son is returning from school in the afternoon.
Staying healthy is part of the job description of being a dad. If something happens to me, I need to get healthy fast so I can take care of him. But health insurance on the private market was expensive. I was quoted monthly premiums of $600 to $700 a couple of years ago.  That’s why when I went to my long-time barbershop and saw folks helping people sign up for health coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, I decided to check out my options for 2015 coverage.
I found out there was financial assistance available that made the insurance affordable and enrolled in a plan that cost only about $150 a month after the tax credit, and my son qualified for health care through Medicaid.

I went back again to the barbershop to renew my coverage for 2016 and signed up for a plan for both my son and me that costs $274 a month after the tax credit. The cost is more because it covers my son as well and now I’m making more money. However, it’s still very affordable, quality coverage for us.
READ MORE: Manuel’s #GetCovered Story: Staying Healthy for his Son
Share on Facebook

No hay comentarios: